re·su·mé (rěz'-mā', rěz'-mā') n. 1. A brief account of one's professional or work experience and qualifications, often submitted with an employment application. Now, let's go the the unabridged version . . .

Sunday, January 7, 2007

The Stress Interview

Doesn't this woman look nice in her red suit with her back pack? I sure hope she isn't on her way to an interview. Further, if she is going to be interviewed, I hope it isn't a "stress interview."

As a senior in college, I applied for a position with the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA field operations--sounds cool, doesn't it?). First, I was interviewed locally. Next, I took a lengthy exam (incidentally, ETS, the same company that writes the GMAT, also wrtes this exam). Months later, I was invited to interview in the Washington, D.C. area.

I was excited, ecstatic even. But I was clueless regarding interviewing techniques. Clueless. The three-day session of interviews included the aforementioned "stress interview," and I did indeed wear the "red suit."

So what is a stress interview?

"The stress interview intentionally creates and promotes discomfort. The interviewer may have an abrupt or brash attitude. Alternately, the interviewer may stare, be silent, and spend time taking notes. The purpose of this type of interview is to test the candidate's ability to be assertive and handle difficult situations" (View Credit). My "stress interview" was the textbook version. Not only did the interviewer make obnoxious statements like "I don't think you can handle this position," but he also continually shifted his position--he wouldn't sit still! Even though I hadn't yet heard of the "stress interview" technique, it was clear to me that he was doing this to see how I would respond. Unfortunately, I didn't have a proper response prepared in advance. Although I wasn't defensive, I know that my responses were not "up to par." And I'm sure the red suit didn't help!

What did I learn from this?

Although I haven't encountered this type of interview since my senior year of college, I am prepared for the types of questions asked in one--just in case! In fact, before applying to any position, I ask myself the following questions:
  • Can I handle this position?
  • What are my transferable skills for this position, and how are they transferable?
  • Who is the most obnoxious person I know, and how would I respond if he/she were my interviewer?
  • Why should this employer hire me over all the other qualified people out there? Seriously!
If you suspect you are heading in to a "stress interview," here are some great tips from Monster.com:
  • Remember that this is a game. It is not personal. View it as the surreal interaction that it is.
  • Prepare and memorize your main message before walking through the door. If you are flustered, you will better maintain clarity of mind if you do not have to wing your responses.
  • Even if the interviewer is rude, remain calm and tactful.
  • Go into the interview relaxed and rested. If you go into it feeling stressed, you will have a more difficult time keeping a cool perspective.
Before an interview, I remind myself of the different types of interviews, including "stress interviews," so that I can be mentally prepared for whatever comes my way!

And no, I didn't get the job with the CIA--perhaps the fact that I thought the job "sounded cool" was an indicator that I really couldn't handle the position . . .

To read:
Best Answers to the 201 Most Frequently Asked Interview Questions
201 Best Questions To Ask On Your Interview
101 Great Answers to the Toughest Interview Questions
How to Interview Like a Top MBA: Job-Winning Strategies From Headhunters, Fortune 100 Recruiters, and Career Counselors

[Photo credits: Red Suit (yes, inside that backpack is a breast pump!), Stress Interview ]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

First of all. Thanks very much for your useful post.

I just came across your blog and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here.

Please let me introduce you some info related to this post and I hope that it is useful for community.

Source: Stress interview questions

Thanks again
Ngo